Monday, November 30, 2009

Quick Update

Life has been one big blur lately, so I just wanted to quickly update what is going on with us (sorry, no pictures - haven't really thought to pick up the camera - or even try to find it).

First - Chris' Grandfather passed away Saturday the 21st. Because he had been living with us, I was a little worried about how this would all happen - Would it be a traumatic experience? Would Allison be the one to find him? That kind of thing. But in the end, it was the best possible way for him to go - with only his son in the house with him - and we are so happy that he is now in a better place where he's no longer in pain. It was a blessing for us to be able to care for him his last couple months, but I knew that he was ready to go.

After he passed, our house became the meeting place for the family. We had at least 10 people at our house almost every night - usually more like 20 - last week. It was really great to spend so much time with Chris' family and I'm so grateful we have a home that people feel comfortable coming to.

Second - As if things weren't busy enough at our house, Chris also had surgery last Tuesday. We ended up staying in Bellevue Monday night since we had to be at the Surgery Center at 6:30am on Tuesday. It was the first of two surgeries....and it was a bit rougher than we expected. He ended up staying under observation for about 4 hours longer than expected because every time he closed his eyes his oxygen level would drop - that was NOT fun. Poor guy. Also the recovery has been very difficult for him. The doctor said he would only need 2 or 3 days...but he still wasn't able to go back to work today. We go to see the doctor on Thursday, so we will check and make sure everything is okay.

Third - Thursday was THANKSGIVING! And this year it was at our house - my first time being in charge! The turkey turned out pretty good and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in our crowded little house, so I've decided it was a success! Not sure if I would be up to doing it EVERY year...but at least I know I can do it.

So, that's what's been going on with us. Life is starting to calm down and I will spend the week getting my house back in order. I'm actually having a hard time knowing what to do with myself now - our life was so strict with making sure his grandpa had his meds at certain times and being there with him if he needed us, it's just so strange to not have to think about any of that. I'm sure we will adjust.

1 comment:

Jenn Tobin said...

Wow, busy, busy! Sounds like my life lately. I hate when it is just a blur, I feel like i am missing so much!
Glad Chris is doing well, we have been praying for him!

Love you all, and hope you have a WONDERFUL holiday season!